Paul (Doc) and Jean Chaffee Scholarship
The Paul (Doc) and Jean Chaffee Scholarship is open to:
• Graduating high school seniors entering college;
• Continuing education students who are seeking professional development not covered by employment; and
• Adults continuing their education in a program leading to employment.
• Applicants must be majoring in a field related to animal science, plant science, or botany.
• Current employees of the Fresno Chaffee Zoo and their family members, as well as past participants of the unpaid summer internship program at the Chaffee Zoo who are entering
• Applicants must demonstrate extraordinary academic growth, community involvement, school participation, and financial need.
• Applicants must be available for a possible in-person interview with the selection committee.
The scholarship committee will judge each application in a nondiscriminatory and objective manner. The following details the criteria the committee will use to judge applications, and the accompanying weight each criterion carries in regards to the committee’s decisions:
• Grade point improvement in grades 9-12 (60% weight)
• Community and school activities (25% weight)
• Financial need (15% weight)
After the committee has scored applications, they may invite applicants for an in-person interview.
Approximately 5 scholarships will be awarded each year. Awards will range from $500.00 – $1,000.00 per recipient. Awards of $500.00 will be payable in one installment and awards of $1,000.00 will be payable in two equal installments over two semesters. Recipients must maintain full-time enrollment (at least 12 credits). Recipients of multi-semester awards must maintain full-time enrollment and a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA to qualify for both payments.
About the Paul (Doc) and Jean Chaffee Scholarship
Dr. Paul S. Chaffee was the longtime director of the Fresno Chaffee Zoo and passed away in 1990. The Fresno Chaffee Zoo was re-named in 1990 in honor of Doc and his love for animals.
Applications may be submitted online, or may be dropped off
Central Valley Community Foundation
Attention: Ann Padilla
5260 N. Palm Ave., Ste. 122
Fresno, CA 93704
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Wednesday, May 1,