Doc and Jean Chaffee Fund
About the Doc and Jean Chaffee Fund
This scholarship is named after Dr. Paul Chaffee, who served for 28 years as veterinarian and 25 years as director of the Fresno Zoo. The zoo was renamed the Fresno Chaffee Zoo in July of 1990, prior to his death.
Paul Chaffee made major improvements for exotic animals through medical care practices, nutrition, natural habitats, and detailed record-keeping. He was a visionary leader respected by his contemporaries. This scholarship is open to students majoring in a field related to animal science, plant science, or environmental science who want to follow in Paul Chaffee’s footsteps. Jean Chaffee is his widow.
The Paul and Jean Chafee Scholarship Fund was established to support graduating seniors who are interested in the life sciences, in particular, the study of zoology, biology, or pre-vet or to adults wanting to continue their education and are enrolled in a program leading to employment.
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
- Applicants must be majoring in a field related to animal science, plant science, or environmental science.
- Open to graduating high school seniors entering college, continuing college students (Sophomores – Seniors), and adults who are reentering college or entering college for the first time.
- Employees of the Fresno Chaffee Zoo and past participants of the zoo’s summer internship program are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must demonstrate extraordinary academic growth, financial need, community service, and school participation.
- Applicants must be available for a possible interview with the committee. If applicants are unable to meet in person, a Skype, FaceTime, or phone interview may be scheduled.
- If selected to receive a scholarship, students must enroll full-time to claim their scholarships (part-time enrollment for full-time employed students)
- Recipients of multi-semester awards must maintain full-time enrollment (part-time enrollment for full-time employed students) and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.85 to be eligible to qualify for both payments.
Award Amounts: Up to 7 scholarships will be offered, ranging from $500.00 – $1,000.00 per selected recipient.
Applications may be submitted via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Central Valley Community Foundation
Attention: Phuong Bui-Sears
5260 N. Palm Ave., Ste. 122
Fresno, CA 93704
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 by 5:00 PM. Mailed applications must arrive by this date.