Donor Advised Fund
A donor-advised fund, or DAF, is a philanthropic fund that can be established at Central Valley Community Foundation (CVCF). It allows donors to make a charitable contribution, receive an immediate tax benefit and then recommend grants from the fund over time.
Here are the steps:
- You make an irrevocable contribution of personal assets.
- You immediately receive the maximum tax deduction that the IRS allows.
- You name your donor-advised fund account, advisers, and any successors or charitable beneficiaries.
- Your contribution is placed into an investment account where it can grow tax-free.
- At any time afterward, you can recommend grants from your fund to qualified charities.
CVCF has been a trusted partner in philanthropy for more than 50 years. We cultivate smart philanthropy, lead and invest in solutions that build stronger communities. Our fundholders are making a meaningful difference right here in the Central Valley and you can join them in this important work.
Opening a DAF is easy to do. Simply contact us for an application form and complete and sign the fund agreement. You may fund your account with gifts of cash, securities, real estate or other assets.
At a Glance
Start up cost:
50% of adjusted gross income for gifts of cash. 30% of adjusted gross income for gifts of stock or real property.
Valuation of Gifts:
Fair Market Value
Can be anonymous
Donor may recommend grants
Donors may recommend grants, CVCF assists with due diligence, oversight and maximizing impact.
Donors may name successors to the fund to ensure a continuing legacy.