James B. McClatchy 25 Year Club Scholarship
25 Year Club Scholarship awards will be given without regard to race, color, creed, ancestry, religion, sex, physical or mental disability, national origin, marital status, medical condition, sexual orientation, age, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
Eligible applicants must be:
- An employee or former employee of The Fresno Bee currently eligible to participate in the 25 Year Club, OR
- An immediate family member, which is defined as a spouse, registered domestic partner, child, step-child, grandchild, step-grandchild,
great grandchild, or step-great grandchild.
Scholarship recipients are selected by the scholarship committee based on the following criteria:
- Academic achievement;
- Letters of recommendation;
- Applicant’s participation in school and community activities;
- Quality of the submitted personal essay/statement of educational goals;
- Applicant’s paid work experience. Please note that, if you do not have paid work experience, this will not be an automatic disqualifier, as the committee will take into consideration other factors of your application.
All applicants will be evaluated by the scholarship committee using the current information submitted with the 2019 application, independent of any prior submissions.
Scholarship awards are one-time payments, ranging from $1,000 – $5,000 per approved applicant. All awarded applicants will be notified via email by Friday, June 28,
Requirements for Award Recipients
If chosen to receive a scholarship, recipients must enroll and use the James B. McClatchy 25 Year Club Scholarship for their educational program no later than the end of the 2019-2020 school year. Recipients have no obligation to The Fresno Bee. Recipients will be responsible for notifying the scholarship committee and the Central Valley Community Foundation of any change to their address, phone number, school, or other pertinent information.
Revisions to Program
The general conditions and procedures under which scholarships are made are subject to periodic review by The Fresno Bee and the Central Valley Community Foundation, including termination of the program.
About the James B. McClatchy 25 Year Club Scholarship
James B. McClatchy was the fourth generation family owner of The McClatchy Company, which publishes The Fresno Bee. His father, Carlos McClatchy, was the first editor of The Fresno Bee when it was founded in 1922. James devoted his life to journalism and was highly respected for his efforts on behalf of freedom of the press. This scholarship program is managed through the Bee Endowed Scholarship Fund at the Central Valley Community Foundation. The Bee Endowed Scholarship Fund was established at the wishes of James McClatchy’s estate.
Applications may be submitted online, or may be dropped off
Central Valley Community Foundation
Attention: Ann Padilla
5260 N. Palm Ave., Ste. 122
Fresno, CA 93704
Wednesday, May 1,